First because of the memories, and second, you could save on buying new furniture in the new country if it is more expensive. Here are some tips on how to ship furniture overseas the right way.
Decide if you are going to hire a professional packing & shipping company or not:
If you decide to hire a professional shipping company you should take into consideration that they offer different types of international packing & shipping services: you can choose between door-to-door international packing and shipping or door-to-port option. The main difference is with the cost of the two services. In some cases, if you are familiar with the regulations in the destination country you can choose a door-to-port shipping option and handle the clearance by yourself.
Of course, you can DIY all the packing and shipping process if you have the right expertise and time to tackle all the necessary tasks.
If you can’t make this decision yet, consider reading this article on why you should hire professional packers and movers
Choose between LCL and FCL:
Deciding whether you need an LCL (less than container load) or FCL (Full Container Load) depends mainly on the volume of your furniture. We recommend that you seek help from a professional shipping company on this. They can make a visit to your place, and make an accurate estimation of the shipping volume and the costs.
Here are some other factors to consider when deciding between an FCL or LCL move:
- FCL is more secure than LCL as you will have the entire container to yourself. With LCL, there’s always an additional risk of your belongings being damaged from others’ belongings. If this is a risk you’d like to avoid, opt for FCL.
- LCL shipments are more likely to be detained by customs. You may have filled in all the paperwork correctly and submitted them on time, but given that you’re sharing a container, should customs decide to examine another shipment in the same container, the entire container will need to be detained until everything is sorted out.
Consider these tips to save money on international furniture shipping:
- Get quotes from multiple shipping companies and compare them. For more tips, we have created a dedicated blog post for this
- If your timetable is flexible, choose sea freight over air freight to save additional costs.
- Select the right insurance policy: sometimes paying more for the insurance policy will save you a lot if something wrong happens.
Invest in high-quality packing materials. Check out our blog about this here
Before you start the process, ask yourself if it is worth shipping your furniture overseas or not.
If the shipping cost is high, then you should consider selling your home furniture and buying a new one at your destination. In this way, you will be saving on moving costs and getting extra money from selling the furniture. On the other hand, if you are traveling to a more expensive country then it would be a better choice to take your furniture with you.